With 26% of heat lost in a house departing through the roof, never before has effective thermal insulation been so important. Now is the time to give your loft insulation a facelift, but what is your best option?
Celotex FR5000 offers a solution. Through ongoing product innovation and breakthrough design, FR5000 represents pioneering progression within the PIR industry. It has lower thermal conductivity value (0.021W/mK) compared with other typical PIR insulation boards, providing enhanced thermal performance, better U-values and is suitable for a range of applications.
Here’s a step-by-step guide of how to insulate with Celotex FR5000 at ceiling level. It’s also worth mentioning that Celotex can be used to top up insulation levels in a horizontal ceiling when mineral wool exists between the joists.
- Make sure the loft space is well ventilated and eaves vents are left clear.
- Ensure ceilings are strong enough to withstand loadings associated with insulation.
- To minimise air leakage and heat lost around the loft hatch, seal the edges with draught seals and mechanically fix Celotex FR5000 to the inside of the hatch.
- Accurately measure the width to be filled between the inside face of the joists, prior to cutting the board.
- Use the Celotex Insulation Saw to cut the Celotex board at a slight angle, making the board width slightly oversized on one surface to achieve a ‘friction fit’.
- Push the board into the void between the joists until it is resting on the ceiling board.
- Where existing insulation between the joists is to be retained, make sure it is in good condition with no signs of sagging.
- Celotex is laid directly over the joists as a continuous layer.
- For maximum strength, Celotex FR5000 should be laid in the opposite direction to that of the ceiling joists. Ensure boards are laid across a minimum of two joists.
- Board joints should be tightly butted and supported on a joist.
- Celotex FR5000 is then mechanically fixed to the joists with suitable fixings.
Insulating your loft correctly is a simple and effective way to save money, and by choosing a Celotex solution you’ll find that the long-lasting insulation will pay for itself over and over again. Find out more about how to use Celotex FR5000 for improving your loft insulation.